Wednesday, February 22, 2012

The Comforter



"But next he is a faithful Comforter. Love sometimes proven unfaithful. 'Oh! Sharper than a serpent's tooth' is an unfaithful friend! Oh! far more bitter than the gall of bitterness, to have a friend to turn from me in my distress! Oh! woe of woes, to have one who loves me in my prosperity forsake me in the dark day of my trouble. Sad indeed: but such is not God's Spirit. He ever loves, and loves even to the end--a faithful Comforter. Child of God, you are in trouble. A little while ago you found him a sweet and loving Comforter, you obtained relief from him when others were but broken cisterns; He sheltered you in his bosom and carried you in his arms. Oh, wherefore dost thou distrust him now? Away with thy fears! for he is a faithful Comforter.
'Ah! but' thou sayest, 'I fear I shall be sick and shall be deprived of his ordinances.' Nevertheless, he shall visit thee on thy sick bed, and sit by thy side to give the consolation. 'Ah! but I have distresses greater than you can conceive of; wave upon wave rolleth over me; deep calleth unto deep at the noise of the Eternal's waterspouts.' Nevertheless, he will be faithful to his promise. 'Ah! but I have sinned.' So thou hast, but sin cannot sever thee from his love; he loves thee still. Think not, O poor downcast child of God, because the scars of thine old sins have marred thy beauty, that he loves thee less becuase of that blemish. Oh, no! He loves thee when he foreknew thy sin; he loved thee with the knowledge of what the aggregate of thy wickedness would be; and he does not love the less now. Come to him in all boldness of faith; tell him thou hast grieved him, and he will forget thy wandering, and will receive thee again, the kisses of his love shall be bestowed upon thee, and the arms of his grace shall embrace thee. He is faithful: trust him; he will never deceive you; trust him, he will never leave you."

--C.H. Spurgeon, Sermon: The Comforter

These words spoke to my heart this week, cut to my core. So true, so comforting to know I have someone, even when everyone leaves me in my distress. Praise God for His Grace!

No comments:

Post a Comment