Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Nothing too Interesting

This isn't really an interesting post but on Friday, I am going to post something I wrote a few months ago. Maybe that will be a bit more interesting for you. That is, if you enjoy criticizing bad writing it will.
Anyways, this has been a great month, writing wise. I finished typing out Iceblade (Part one of AD) onto my computer, and this week I have been working on the outline for the last book in my series. Lord willing, today I will finish writing out the outline. And then I think I will go edit Iceblade, and then type out the second part of AD, and then edit that. And then finally after all of that I am going to reread both parts and make sure that it all flows one last time before I put it away for good.
So I have been thinking a lot about my writing lately. And I realize that I need to figure out how to get to the place God wants me to be as a writer. I feel that God is calling me to be a writer, and I know what He wants me to write, but I can't write it until I finish my series.
I am hoping that by then I will be a good enough writer to actually sit down and write that book.
And now that my series is coming to a close, I realize that I am still not the writer I should be.
Everyone always says that I should take classes to become a better writer.
But I have taken classes, and they haven't helped me at all.

It was like whenever I enjoyed what I had to write, my teacher didn't like it and gave me a bad grade. But when I played by her rules I couldn't stand my papers. And I grew frustrated, because no one ever gave me any good advice on how to become a good writer.
But one day I was at dinner with my older brother who writes scripts and does filming. He told me that I should write what I want to write, and I should write how I want to write. Not what and how everyone else wants me to write.
So I took that advice and I finally embraced the freedom of writing.
But I am still left with the problem of writing.
I like writing like the "Epic Fantasy" way, that the authors do a lot of world building, and get into the characters' heads. I absolutely love that writing, but some people don't like it because it has a lot of run-ons.
But that's what makes it good! Because you are getting the characters so much in depth.
Some people just don't understand it.
And then there are authors of suspense novels, and they tend to have a lot of fragments in their writing. But that's what makes it good!
Some people just criticize those authors for that. Some people just don't understand.
And so when people tell me to play by the rules of grammar and spelling, I agree to an extant.
I agree to the extant that everything should be spelled correctly and that there should be good grammar in the book but when people get into the run-ons and fragments I would disagree at times, depending on the book and genre.

And here is another thing--I want to break into Christian Fantasy. I can't really take any good advice from that group, because the majority of people all write the same exact way. And most of their books are about the same exact things, with the same exact theme. I mean, if they their writing isn't bad, their theology is! You can't have two in one it seems for Christian Fantasy at least.
That's got to change.
I read book from that genre strictly for reference, of what not to do. And half of the secular fantasy books I read because they tell me what to do.
I can't seem to win either way.
So now I seem to be at a crossroads.

Two years ago, around this time I was reading a whole lot of books on writing, and copying pages and quotes from those books down, and my writing greatly increased. I still have those notes. And a few months back I would read through some of my favorite books and write down notes about the structure and craft of the story. That helped a lot too.
So here is one thing that I have considered doing--is reviewing all of those notes I have taken long ago and applying those things to my writing.
That would surely help.
And the second thing I could do--that I have heard so many authors already say is that I should read a lot.
I believe it was Stephen King who said, "If you don't have any time for reading, you don't have time for writing."
The writers who I respect most say that I should read a lot. That will help me with my writing, no doubt about it.
And then, most importantly, I need to write, write, write. I should be writing more. I don't write that much, at most, an hour a day. I won't get anywhere with just writing a few minutes each day. I have to keep going at it. That is how you get better. By writing.

So there are three things that I have considered. Now trying to think of more things to improve my writing.
But for now I will just put those.
Now, one last thing before I end for those who are a bit depressed that I didn't post anything meaningful today.
This is a video by one of my favorite preachers, Dr. Martyn Lloyd-Jones.
Great video where he talks about George Whitfield's life. He did live a truly incredible life. Just watch and you will know what I mean. Even if you don't know who on earth either of those men are. Maybe this video will inspire you to listen and read more of Lloyd-Jones' sermons and read more of Whitfield's sermons too.
Both men were greatly used by God.



God Bless,
  A.W.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with King; C.S. Lewis was perhaps the most-read man of his day, and his works reflect it. He read all of Paradise Lost by age nine. The more good stuff you have in you, the more good stuff you'll be able to take out of you.

    ReplyDelete